26 August, 2009

Oh. Man.

This past week has been a biggie for us in our household. My baby started school as a bona fide Kindergartener!

(Finn on his first day of school)

(Mommy and Finn on our way)

(And one with Daddy and E- we missed Owen! Oops!)

On the first day, he looked so handsome and sweet standing against the fence ready to file into class.
He was brave and trying not to let his timidity show. He wanted a hug but not the semblance of one, so I got sort of a sideways lean. I did almost tear up as I watched him walk away, but I quickly sucked it up, and that was it. I thought it would be way more emotional for me...

Well, about half-way into that first week, the storm hit. He came home those first 2 days, having eaten only a few bites of his lunch, and "too tired" to tell me about his day. Huh? I'm used to being in charge of his every waking move- what he eats, who he plays with, making sure he's happy and taken care of. And now, I'm out of the loop! I'm realizing that I've handed a portion of the responsibility to another person, and it's hard! I know this is WAY harder for me than him. He's embarked on the process of growing up and becoming more independent, and right now it just seems like it all went by WAY too fast!
Nevertheless, I know it's all a good, necessary part of life. It's good for him to spread his little wings and learn the social dynamics of groups, like how to share the attention of the adult in the room, to not interrupt, to wait patiently- all those things a teacher and a classroom can show him. I want him to be confident in his independence and to succeed out in the real world. And, hey, one of the most important details: he loves it! He wants to go back. Apparently, I'm gonna need some time to get used to all of this, but not Finn. He's hooked.

Fast-forward one week. Here is Finn surrounded by all his hard work. He's learning! As for me, I'm adjusting as expected, even learning to enjoy the time he's away, and, yes, accomplishing all those things I never get done otherwise! I do still miss him, but it's less raw. The moments he's home have become so much more precious to me. It's the end of one sweet era and the beginning of an exciting new one!

1 comment:

christina said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations Finn! And, good job Jen, I haven't been able to do it yet(: Your courage and love is impressive

Post a Comment