03 June, 2009

How To Encourage An Accident Victim

While visiting Rockridge (Berkley and Oakland collide here), we witnessed a bicycle accident. It was really embarrassing to watch. A girl, who was clearly not a cycling enthusiast (noticeable because of the fact she had no spandex, Lycra, or other aerodynamic gear on) rode directly into an obviously dedicated cyclist (here noticeable due to the over-abundance of Lycra!). There was a weird scraping noise on the tar and gravel blacktop, the bike-lover nearly flew off his bike, and everyone on the busy sidewalk and street did what appeared to be a unanimous freeze-frame. I swear there was an audible gasp! Then the fallen cyclist awkwardly stood up while the amateur who hit him stood by, uncertain of what to do or say. I mean, what does one do in such a situation? There is no DMV manual for this, as far as I know. Do you get his information? Do you apologize? Do you fall to the ground weeping since you know you have just broken the golden rule in this small pedestrian, bike-lane town, which is: Yield to bicycles, and NEVER ever harm serious cyclists, for they are the ultimate "green" earth-friendly organisms, who sacrifice the convenience of fuel-hogging, fume inducing cars- the dirty word- for the selfless goal of saving the world for future generations! Shudder!
We could hear her meek apology, and the creaking of the now crooked bike being picked up, and the same-sex couple- who were walking their dachshund- were standing near us totally dumbfounded. Apparently, Finn could sense the awkwardness of the moment, because he stated, bravely, concernedly, and quite loudly -to ensure those involved in the commotion could hear- "It's OK Mommy because Bikers Never Give Up!" I don't even remember what I replied with, but I do remember the couple with the dog smiled and proceeded to cross the street, the cars began to drive again, and the world around us slowly began to right itself with a smile. It was SO funny. That's my Finn- always concerned for the welfare of others and the first to encourage those who are down. Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment